Admission into this program is based upon a competitive jury/audition process. The Fine Arts faculty at Sweet Briar are committed to the liberal-arts concept that a broad education enhances our understanding of each specialized area of intellectual or artistic endeavor. Being the only college in the United States with a residential artist colony on its campus, we have a unique opportunity to enrich the educational experience of our fine arts students. The presence of the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts and our own strong fine arts faculty have led to the development of this distinctive program. The Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Interdisciplinary Arts is directed toward students with multifaceted creative interests. Throughout their course of study, they regularly interact with students, faculty, and visiting artists from all of our artistic disciplines. By examining methods of problem solving within their own disciplines through an active involvement with practitioners of all artistic media, students develop a rich understanding of the creative process and the problems that confront contemporary artists.
The Fine Arts Program
Choose a major area. Students must complete the requirements for one of the following majors: Dance, English and Creative Writing, Music, Musical Theatre, Studio Art, or Theatre.
Additional course requirements:
ARMG 105 (4) Introduction to Arts Management
Choose 18 credit hours from the following list. Courses must be from disciplines other than the major and cannot be part of the major requirements. At least 6 credits must applied arts courses (fulfill V.6b general education knowledge area). At least 6 of the eighteen credits must be at the 200-level or above.
- Creative Writing: ENGL 106, ENGL 209, ENGL 211, ENGL 216, ENGL 254, ENGL 263, ENGL 266, ENGL 271, ENGL 275, ENGL 309, ENGL 311, ENGL 318, ENGL 334, ENGL 348, ENGL 365, ENGL 371, ENGL 383, ENGL 389
- Dance: DANC 107, DANC 109, DANC 111, DANC 207, DANC 211, DANC 223, DANC 224, DANC 311
- Music: MUSC 177, MUSC 179, MUSC 181, MUSC 185, MUSC 187, MUSC 189, MUSC 191, MUSC 193, MUSC 197, MUSC 245, MUSC 251
- Studio Art: any studio art course with the exception of ARTS 209 and ARTS 213
- Theatre: THTR 189, THTR 229, THTR 230, THTR 280, THTR 329, THTR 341, THTR 389, THTR 392
- Dance: DANC 221, DANC 222, DANC 351
- History of Art: any ARTH course
- Music: MUSC 126, MUSC 127, MUSC 157, MUSC 213, MUSC 218, MUSC 327, MUSC 338, MUSC 340
- Studio Art: ARTS 209, ARTS 213
- Theatre: THTR 104, THTR 105, THTR 170, THTR 220, THTR 235, THTR 245, THTR 290, THTR 333, THTR 334, THTR 335, THTR 336
Choose the following course in three different semesters:
IART 101 (1) Fine Arts Workshop
Note: Successful completion of at least 3 semesters of this course is required. A maximum of 8 credits of IART 101 may be counted toward the degree.
IART 452 (3) Senior Thesis
Note: IART 452 is required in addition to the senior seminar or exercise required in the major area.