Administrative Assistant/Office Manager, Riding Program
This position provides support for the riding program, the director of riding and the staff, in addition to managing the day-to-day functions of the office. This individual assists in the efficient operation of the program by maintaining records, providing accurate and timely bookkeeping, and fulfilling clerical/receptionist duties. Typical responsibilities include:
- Maintaining all departmental accounts, billing, budgets, expense reconciliation, and student payroll
- Assisting in the coordination of riding program events (shows, field events, clinics, equitrials, etc.)
- Support of recruiting and promotional initiatives (such as mailings, flyers, signs, etc.)
- Organizing and scheduling of department events and meetings
- Purchasing related to approved budgets
- Administration of paperwork in relation to horses received as gifts and compilation of statistical data from courses and activities
Applicant must be a high school graduate with at least 2 to 3 years’ related work experience, 5 years preferred. Computer experience (Microsoft Office Suite), bookkeeping and accounting skills required. Some college preferred. Must have professional manner and very strong interpersonal skills. Prefer detail-oriented self-starter who can meet deadlines with minimum supervision and remain flexible in a fast-moving setting. Must be able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks effectively. Familiarity with equestrian terms or activities helpful, but not required. Submit cover letter, resume and three references to Director of Riding, P.O. Box 6, Sweet Briar, VA 24595 or via email to [email protected]. No telephone calls, please.
Sweet Briar College seeks a full-time Master/Journeyman Electrician to join our Physical Plant. Electrician will repair breakdowns in both high and low voltage distribution systems and in college buildings, install the electrical systems in small construction projects, keep up with electrical code and any new electrical equipment, maintain inventory of electrical repair parts. Must be able to lift & carry 50 pounds; clearly communicate electrical problems, resolutions, requirements; operate motorized maintenance equipment; walk/stand for long periods of time. Must have valid Master/Journeyman Electrician card and flexibility to work weekends and longer hours as needed. Interested applicants should submit a resume or a completed SBC employment application to: Physical Plant, P.O. Box 1060, Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, VA 24595, or via email to [email protected]. Full-time position with health insurance, paid time off and competitive salary.
The Office of Media, Marketing and Communications needs your welcoming personality, attention to detail, strong organizational skills and service-oriented attitude. This full-time position supports the director and staff, in addition to managing the day-to-day functions of the office.
- Answer phones, provide information and/or direct calls as needed
- Oversee the College’s scheduling and events management calendar, including advising event planners seeking to book campus facilities
- Compile and/or proof periodic event listings for distribution
- Notify local media of inclement weather cancellations
- Reconcile MMC’s annual budget; pay bills and maintain records; price and administer vendor contracts
- Coordinate distribution and inventory of marketing materials with admissions office
- General correspondence and filing; maintain office supplies; coordinate bulk mailings
- Schedule departmental meetings and appointments; send campus-wide emails
- Supervise student workers and maintain all office time sheets
- Other duties as assigned
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Be proficient in MS Word and Excel
- Have excellent organizational and problem-solving skills with attention to detail
- Have bookkeeping experience and familiarity with computerized recordkeeping
- Understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality
- Have a minimum of three years related work experience. Public relations, communications or higher education experience preferred.
- Be able to lift and carry 50 pounds
Regular hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday with occasional weekends, evenings and early mornings required. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to [email protected]. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Sweet Briar College is located on 3,250 scenic acres in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains near Lynchburg, VA, offering a beautiful and collaborative working environment. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Sweet Briar College is committed to enhancing our academic and co-curricular community and encourages applications from qualified individuals who would increase the diversity of the College.
Grade B, non-exempt, salaried, benefits-eligible
Authorized Hire Date: Immediately
East Wing Captain
Sweet Briar College seeks applicants for a full-time East Wing Captain. Responsibilities include maintaining total care for approximately 30 horses and stable facilities. Care includes feeding, haying and watering, turning out, hand walking, picking feet, grooming, wrapping, and blanketing. Additional duties include fence repair, raking, picking stalls, weed-eating/bush-hogging, cleaning beds/stalls, checking water and grain supplies. This individual will have supervisory role training and oversee student workers.
Applicants must have excellent horsemanship skills, be physically strong enough to lift 50 lbs. on a regular basis, perform several hours of walking and working on their feet daily to care for the horses, and be willing to work outside in all types of weather. Additional requirements include demonstrated reliability, maturity, integrity, strong work ethic, and attention to detail. High school diploma and some college level work preferred. Individual must be able to work with limited supervision. Work schedule during the academic year is normally Sunday-Thursday. During the summer months the schedule will include working some weekends. Tractor driving skills are a plus.
This full-time position is eligible for medical benefits. Interested applicants can obtain an SBC employment application at sbc.edu/human-resources/open-positions or by emailing [email protected], and may call (434) 381-6348 (weekdays) for more information. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Grade C, non-exempt
Position # S09797
Authorized Hire Date: Immediate
Sweet Briar College
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 1090
Sweet Briar, VA 24595