Sweet Briar College Employment Application Form (pdf) (click to download)
Please refresh your web page to review the most up-to-date postings and scroll down to view all open positions:
Instructor in Riding
Sweet Briar College’s riding program has an opening for a quality, experienced full-time riding instructor in the American hunter and jumper system. Responsibilities include the instruction of beginner through advanced riders; coaching students at on-campus and away competitions as needed; riding and re-schooling horses as needed; and, working with the Director of Riding to develop the hunter and jumper competitive program. We are seeking a team player who is a dedicated teacher and a strong rider.
Candidates should be mature and career-oriented. Bachelor’s degree and five years’ teaching experience preferred. Send resume and three references to: Merrilee (Mimi) Wroten, Director of Riding, via email at email@example.com or by mail to Sweet Briar College, Box 6, Sweet Briar, VA 24595. Position begins July 1, 2013. All inquiries are confidential.
Assistant to Stable Manager (Full-time)
Sweet Briar College is accepting applications for a full-time Assistant to the Stable Manager to help oversee in the care of 70+ horses beginning August 1.
Responsibilities include feeding, blanketing, night turnout, meeting late vans, attending to horses that need night check, assisting the veterinarian, daily treatments of horses, and assisting with supervision of student workers. Excellent horsemanship skills are required, as are demonstrated reliability, maturity, integrity and high work ethic. Must be able and willing to work with limited supervision and outside in all weather.
Applicants must be able to work afternoons/evenings Monday through Friday (approximately 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.), with occasional weekends. On-campus residency is required; housing and utilities are provided as partial compensation. A four-year degree is preferred. Excellent benefits package included. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Applications can be found above call 434-381-6116 weekdays. Applicants should submit a resume and two letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Sweet Briar College, Box 6, Sweet Briar, VA 24595. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Director of Donor Relations and Prospect Management
The Alumnae and Development Office of Sweet Briar College seeks an individual to manage a comprehensive donor relations, development operations and prospect management program including development services and special events. The ideal Director of Donor Relations and Prospect Management will be a long-term strategic thinker, possessing an ability to establish goals and meet deadlines. Successful candidates will be creative, flexible and able to directly lead a cohesive team of five that is supplemented with ancillary personnel. This full-time position reports to the Vice President of Alumnae and Development.
Major responsibilities of this position include:
- Conceptualizing, organizing, and implementing an integrated stewardship and prospect management program through an assertive strategy of targeted, research-driven, and increasingly digital approaches
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures for prospect identification and pipeline monitoring and management
- Implementing analytics, metrics, data mining, modeling and maintaining oversight of reporting strategies as they pertain to prospect management
- Managing the on-going operations of gift processing, acknowledgment, and gift recognition
- Ensuring effective system and database use for tracking of gifts and donors
- Overseeing the planning and execution of special events and programs to cultivate and acknowledge donors
Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree, five years’ experience in development, donor relations, advancement services, development communications, major gifts or similar field, and at least two years’ experience in a supervisory capacity, preferably in a college setting. Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Access) are required, as are demonstrated organizational and analytical skills, exceptional attention to detail, and the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities. Advanced degree, prior experience in a development management position or previous experience with SCT Banner or similar higher education/development database is helpful.
Please submit resume with letter of interest and three professional references to email@example.com Applications accepted until the position is filled, with an anticipated start date of July 1.
Director of Boxwood Circle
Sweet Briar College seeks a full-time Director of Boxwood Circle to join our Major and Planned Gifts team. Successful candidates for this position will be energetic, dynamic and people-oriented.
The Director of Boxwood Circle will develop and implement a clear and defined strategy for leadership annual giving. This includes specific responsibility for identifying, engaging and soliciting Boxwood Circle leadership gifts for the Annual Fund. This position reports to the Director of Major and Planned Giving.
The Director of Boxwood Circle will:
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward leadership annual fund gifts for the College, managing an assigned list of approximately 225-300 special Annual Fund prospects and donors, with an expectation of completing 15 or more solicitations per month
- Focus on increasing the number of donors at the $2,500+ level
- Work closely with other members of the Major Gifts team and Annual Giving staff, development office staff and volunteers to validate prospects and to ensure that all solicitation strategies include an Annual Fund component
- Coordinate and work with the volunteer Boxwood Circle Committee to build its partnership with the Boxwood Circle Program
- Prepare and maintain appropriate prospect management information including call reports, contact reports, proposals and gift notifications
Candidates should have very strong relationship-building and solicitation skills and successes. Extensive travel (3-4 days per week year-round) is required.
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years’ experience in development or related experience such as sales or marketing; excellent oral, written and persuasive abilities; excellent attention to detail; established ability to manage volunteers and staff; creativity and flexibility; organizational and analytical abilities.
Based on the travel requirements and proximity to many of our constituents, the Director of Boxwood Circle could be based on campus (Lynchburg/Charlottesville area) or work remotely from a location where an operational or strategic advantage could be an opportunity. In the case of a telecommuting arrangement, there will be a need for regular visits to campus worked into the travel schedule.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Assistant Director of Annual Giving
Sweet Briar College seeks a full-time Assistant Director of Annual Giving to join our Alumnae Relations and Annual Giving team. Successful candidates for this position will be energetic, dynamic and people-oriented.
The Assistant Director of Annual Giving will work with the Director of Parent and Reunion Giving and the members of the Alumnae Relations and Annual Giving staff to ensure that Annual Fund goals are met, specifically by managing the following Annual Giving programs: Young Alumnae Giving for those six to ten years post-graduation, four to five assigned Reunion classes for the current fiscal year, Past Parents, Faculty, Friends, and other duties as assigned.
For each program, the Assistant Director of Annual Giving will:
- Manage, implement and evaluate the giving program
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers for each program
- Organize and execute the assigned campaigns, including events management
- Track and report progress of the programs
- Personally solicit donors within the assigned campaigns
Candidates should have very strong relationship-building and conversational skills, as well as proven event-planning skills and successes.
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years’ experience with fundraising, specifically with annual fund campaigns; excellent oral, written and persuasive abilities; excellent attention to detail; established ability to manage employees and/or volunteers and personal volunteer experience; creativity and flexibility; organizational and analytical abilities.
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled.
Field Experience Coordinator/School Liaison
Sweet Briar College seeks a field experience coordinator/school liaison to serve as the primary liaison with local school divisions where SBC Education Department students are placed. The coordinator will:
- Interact with SBC Education faculty to ascertain field placement needs for required courses
- Arrange placement opportunities in local school divisions, ensuring that student teachers have a variety of field placements over the course of their programs
- Contact students and cooperating mentor teachers regarding the placements and facilitate the placements
- Collect, input, maintain, and disseminate data
In addition, the coordinator will work with local school division mentors to coordinate the training of mentor teachers.
Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are required, along with the ability to maintain confidentiality. In addition, proficiency in computer skills, such as creating spreadsheets and uploading data to clouds, is necessary. Prior teaching and/or public school experience is desirable. Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required. This is a part-time position, approximately 200 hours per semester, both fall and spring.
All candidates must complete and sign a Background Check Consent Form. A background check includes a criminal history check and will be performed on finalists for this position.
Resumes will be reviewed until the position is filled. Send cover letter and resume along with the names of three (3) professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Campus Safety
Sweet Briar College seeks a full-time Director of Campus Safety who will foster a welcoming environment while ensuring the safety and security of the Sweet Briar Community by serving as its chief law enforcement officer. The Director is responsible for budget, staff management, and priority-setting for campus safety, including short- and long-range emergency plans. Reporting to the Vice President of Finance and Administration, the Director oversees a staff of 8-10 full- and part-time Police and Safety Officers and an Office Administrator.
By promoting a collegial spirit within the department and the SBC community, the Director will lead by example and instill a customer-focused approach for all Campus Safety staff that will support SBC’s culture of individual/group responsibility and accountability. Specific duties include:
- Planning, organizing, and directing the activities involved in the preservation of the College’s people (students, employees, visitors and other individuals on-campus) and physical assets (land, buildings, horses, equipment, residences, vehicles, etc.).
- Ensuring that officers are trained to and provide appropriate support to all college community members/visitors.
- Ensuring that state/local ordinances and campus policies relating to the prevention of crime, traffic safety, and parking regulations are maintained; and is responsible for accurate and timely reporting of incidents as required by laws, regulations, policies and best practices.
- Collaborating with key campus departments and student leaders to formulate and review policies, procedures, regulations and approaches to enforcement/community education.
- Serving as liaison between College and local/state/federal law enforcement officials.
- Ensuring that effective security processes, services and systems are being used and implementing best practices in the field of public safety.
- Developing and implementing emergency and contingency plans that ensure that the Department of Campus Safety is prepared to handle all types of emergencies and disasters.
The Director is required to be on call 24 hours a day/seven days a week and be able to respond to emergencies in potentially hazardous environments. The ideal candidate for Director should be a certified police officer, having successfully completed Police Academy Training and have:
- Associate’s degree in Police Administration, Criminal Justice or related field; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Physical ability to discharge a firearm, confront or restrain subjects, and perform well within stressful situations; proficiency with firearms, including handguns, shotguns and rifles; hold and maintain license to carry concealed.
- Demonstrated ability to implement community policing strategies and manage a staff to build relationships as a component of effective policing with a diverse group of constituents.
- Proven ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with a variety of people (students, staff, faculty, guests) and with other law enforcement officers/departments.
- Successful track record of providing broad leadership, including planning, organizing, supervising and establishing goals and objectives.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and a list of at least 3 professional references via email to email@example.com. Applications received by April 26, 2013 will be given priority in the hiring process.
On-Call Housekeeping Position – Elston Inn
The Elston Inn at Sweet Briar College has a position open for a part-time, on-call housekeeper. Position requires extensive movement, including but not limited to: bending, stooping, climbing stairs, ladders and step stools. Applicant must be able to lift 25 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds on occasion. This position has varying hours and weekend work is a must. Interested applicants should apply in person at the Elston Inn, Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, VA or obtain an application on line at http://sbc.edu/human-resources/open-positions. Applications may be emailed to the Director of Hospitality: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director, Junior Year In France & Spain Programs (Updated Posting)
Sweet Briar College seeks a full-time Director beginning in Summer 2013 to lead two of our international programs: Junior Year in France and Junior Year in Spain. This year-round position, which reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, oversees the successful and comprehensive operation of the Junior Year in France Program, with operations in both the US and France, and our Junior Year in Spain Program, with operations in the US and in Spain. Sweet Briar’s JYF and JYS programs offers students from over 35 colleges and universities each year the opportunity to study in France (Paris and Nice) or in Seville, Spain. JYF is the oldest coeducational intercollegiate program in Paris since 1948; JYS was founded in 1984. To read more about the programs: http://sbc.edu/jyf and http://sbc.edu/jys
The Director is responsible for student recruitment, academic quality and operational management of the entire Junior Year in France and Junior Year in Spain programs. He/she ensures students experience a sound, high-quality, consistent, robust study-abroad program by:
- Ensuring the recruitment of students, which involves:
- public relations and marketing activities (program catalog, program Alumni Magazine, etc.)
- networking with study abroad programs at various colleges
- liaising with the member colleges on the Advisory Committees
- Reviewing all student applications and making admissions and financial aid decisions
- Ensuring ongoing communications with students (active & alumni), parents and friends of the program
- Various student support tasks including transportation arrangements, orientation support, transcript and course description maintenance
- Recruiting, hiring (including preparation of legal contracts) and managing personnel in the US, France and Spain Offices, including professors.
- Preparing, managing and auditing the budget of the US, France and Spain Offices
- Organizing lectures for an annual conference series
The Director typically travels several times a year to/from the US to oversee operations in-country; these trips may include multi-week assignments away from home.
The ideal candidate for Director will have:
- Doctoral Degree
- An excellent command of the French and Spanish languages
- A commitment to high educational standards
- Working knowledge and expertise around the French and Spanish higher education systems
- Minimum 4 years of program management or similar administrative experience, preferably multi-year experience in administering and recruiting for an academic study abroad program or international company/organization
- Familiarity with French and Spanish legal systems or similar foreign employment regulations
- Ability to travel by plane between the United States and France and Spain regularly
Please send letter of application, CV, and at least 3 professional references via email to JYFDirectorJob@sbc.edu. Applications received by April 12, 2013 will be given priority in the hiring process.
Part-Time Teaching Opportunities in Biology Department
The Biology Department at Sweet Briar College is seeking applications for teaching positions for the 2013-2014 academic year. Part-time positions are open for both fall and spring semesters, and a Visiting Assistant Professor position is open for the Spring 2014 semester (full course load for the spring semester). Teaching responsibilities may include both semesters of introductory biology, including labs, and an upper-level course in the instructor’s area of expertise. The Biology Department emphasizes learning through inquiry and the scientific method.
Applicants from all areas of biology are encouraged to apply. Qualified candidates should have a minimum of a Master’s in a biological science; a Ph.D. is preferred, and ABD Ph.D. candidates are welcome to apply. Successful candidates will possess effective communication skills, fluency in English and prior instructional experience.
Please note: As temporary positions, these adjunct roles are not eligible for employee health or retirement plan benefits.
Application materials including a cover letter, resume/CV, teaching statement, transcript (unofficial or official), and names and contact information for two references should be submitted via email to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
Adjunct in International Relations (Full-Time)
The Department of Government and International Affairs at Sweet Briar College is seeking a full-time, one-year adjunct instructor of international relations for the 2013-2014 academic year. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of excellence in teaching at the undergraduate level, and will be able to offer a course in U.S. foreign policy as well as an introductory course in international relations. The course load for the academic year is 3-3, with two sections dedicated to the introduction to international relations course. Applicants who hold a Ph.D. are preferred, though ABDs with strong teaching evaluations will be given serious consideration.
Applications, consisting of a cover letter, a current curriculum vita, graduate transcripts, teaching evaluations, and two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the candidate’s teaching, should be sent electronically to: GIRadjunctsearch@sbc.edu. Only materials submitted electronically will be reviewed.
Adjunct Instructor of Chemistry (sabbatical replacement)
Sweet Briar College seeks an Adjunct Instructor of Chemistry to teach full-time during the Fall 2013 semester (beginning August 2013) as a sabbatical replacement. Teaching responsibilities include: one section of Organic Chemistry II lecture, two sections of Organic Chemistry II laboratory, and one section of Physical Chemistry: Kinetics and Thermodynamics in the Fall 2013 semester.
Qualified candidates should have a minimum of a Master’s degree in Chemistry or a related field; however, candidates with a Bachelor’s degree who are in their fourth or fifth year of doctoral graduate study in chemistry or a related field will also be considered. Successful candidates will possess effective communication skills, fluency in English and prior instructional experience. Experience with NMR spectroscopy is required. Salary will be commensurate with experience for this temporary full-time position. (Note: As a temporary position, this adjunct role is not eligible for employee health or retirement plan benefits.)
Application materials including a cover letter, resume/CV, transcript, and letters of reference should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, Dr. Abraham Yousef, Chemistry Department.
Assistant Professor, Creative Writing/English (sabbatical replacement)
The English Department at Sweet Briar College seeks a full-time sabbatical-replacement position in Creative Writing at the assistant professor level beginning in August 2013. The position includes the possibility of renewal for a second year, also as a sabbatical replacement, and of a subsidized rental residence on campus for the successful candidate.
The college’s typical teaching load is three courses per semester. This position will include a multi-genre introductory creative writing workshop, nonfiction and journalism workshops, and at least one first-year writing course. The second year’s appointment, if available, would also include fiction workshops. Other duties include assisting the creative writing director in organizing the visiting writers’ series, contributing to the annual undergraduate creative writing conference, and participating in other departmental programs and initiatives.
Successful candidates will have an M.F.A. or equivalent degree, demonstrated commitment to and excellence in college-level teaching, a strong record of publication, and experience writing and teaching creative nonfiction, journalism, and fiction.
Please send letter of application, CV, and writing sample via email to email@example.com. Applications received by February 22, 2013 will be given priority in the hiring process.
Sweet Briar College is located on 3,250 scenic acres in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains near Lynchburg, VA. We offer a pleasant working environment and a competitive salary and benefits package.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Sweet Briar College seeks a highly diverse pool of qualified candidates and especially encourages applications from qualified individuals who would increase the diversity of the college.
Please refer all inquiries to the office listed in the specific posting for each job. Otherwise, contact:
Sweet Briar College
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 1090
Sweet Briar, VA 24595