Sweet Briar College Employment Application Form (pdf) (click to download)
Please refresh your web page to review the most up-to-date postings and scroll down to view all open positions:
Campus Student Employment Coordinator/Office Manager
Sweet Briar College has an opening for its Campus Student Employment Coordinator/Office Manager. This position oversees all aspects of Campus Student Employment (federal Work Study, SBC Work Study, and general Campus Employment); assists with the Career Services Center’s programs, events, career counseling appointments, and serves as one of the liaisons with alumnae needing career development assistance. This position is a full-time eleven-month position (typically July through May each year).
Major job duties include:
- the completion of applications and federal and state documentation
- assisting department supervisors and Career Services staff with the development of on-campus internships for the professional advancement of students
- working with departments and supervisors to develop job descriptions and pay rates
- working closely with Payroll to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of student employment data
- working closely with Financial Aid Office and students receiving financial assistance to ensure students have access to campus employment
- maintaining the Career Services Center’s library
- assisting with the planning, delivery and management of Career Services’ events and programs
- maintaining the office budget, financial transactions and resource allocations
- co-supervising and scheduling of student office assistants
- scheduling student appointments with the Career Services staff members
- participating actively as a member of the Co-Curricular Life staff, including occasional involvement in the CCL staff on-call process (typically one week per semester)
Highly qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years’ experience in office administration, student affairs or higher education. Requirements include strong organizational, interpersonal/customer service, and computer skills; sensitivity to the need for confidentiality; and proficiency with Microsoft Office 8.0 suite of products. Previous experience with budget management software and HR management/payroll systems preferred; the College uses Banner as its database.
Resumes will be reviewed immediately, with an anticipated start date of mid-August. Send cover letter and resume along with the names of three (3) professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resident Director (part-time residential position)
Sweet Briar College seeks a Resident Director for the 2014-15 academic year. This part-time live-in position provides support to the student-staffed resident advisers and manages operational functions in assigned residence halls. The Resident Director provides services directly to students such as personal and disciplinary counseling and developmental, cultural, and educational programming.
Job duties include:
· supervising undergraduate students working as Resident Advisors (RA) in college residence halls and/or on-campus apartments
· coordinating and administering the overall Residence Life Program, including both student development and operations components, in assigned residence halls
· serving as primary support resource for staff and students in dealing with specific residence hall problems including roommate conflicts, personal and emotional problems, diversity issues, and other developmental concerns
· managing operational functions for residence halls such as key distribution and collection, damage assessment, reporting and billing, maintenance requests, and hall openings and closings
· providing "on-call" responsibility for all area residence halls on a scheduled basis
Qualified candidates will possess:
· Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent of education and experience) required
· Previous work experience in a residential life/housing facility at a college or university (strongly preferred)
· Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated leadership and supervisory abilities
· Demonstrated knowledge of business computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Google mail, and Incident Reports)
· The ability to link theory and practice in interactions with students, parents, colleagues, and other constituencies
As the Resident Director will be required to live in the residence hall the 10 months during the academic year (August through May), housing is provided in an apartment-like setting year round; meal plan is provided when classes are in session.
Resumes will be reviewed until the position is filled with preference given to applications received by June 21, 2014. Target start date of August 15, 2014. Send cover letter and resume along with the names of three (3) professional references to email@example.com.
Instructor/Visiting Professor of Physical Chemistry (part-time)
Sweet Briar College seeks an Instructor/Visiting Professor of Physical Chemistry to teach Thermo & Kinetics (CHEM 332) in the fall 2014 and Quantum Mechanics & Spectroscopy (CHEM 331) in the Spring 2015. The possibility of teaching other courses & labs exists depending upon the candidate’s expertise and the staffing needs of the department. Teaching responsibilities include classroom/lecture instruction and laboratory section(s).
Qualified candidates should have a minimum of an M.S. or Ph.D. in physical chemistry or related field. A.B.D. candidates are also encouraged to apply with the support of their adviser if they can provide a strong record of teaching at the collegiate level. Successful candidates will possess effective communication skills, fluency in English and prior instructional experience. Salary will be commensurate with experience for this continuing part-time position. (Note: As a part-time position, this position is not eligible for employee health or retirement plan benefits.)
Send a letter of intent in PDF format addressed to Chair: Department of Chemistry, Sweet Briar College. Attach the letter to an eMail addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of Physical Chemistry. The cover letter should include:
· A brief description of your qualifications
· A brief summary of any prior teaching experience.
· Your contact information
· The names and contact information of at least three references.
Note: You do not need to solicit letters from your references at this stage of the process. Official transcripts are not required at this stage of the process. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Sweet Briar College, located on 3,250 scenic acres in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains near Lynchburg, VA, is a nationally ranked, independent, residential, liberal arts and sciences college for women preparing students to fulfill their academic, professional and personal aspirations by providing excellent academic and co-curricular programs. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Sweet Briar College is committed to enhancing our academic and co-curricular community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of the College.
Please refer all inquiries to the office listed in the specific posting for each job. Otherwise, contact:
Sweet Briar College
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 1090
Sweet Briar, VA 24595