Robin L. Davies
1983-86 Postdoctoral Researcher, Harvard University
Ph.D. 1982 Princeton University (Molecular Biology)
M.A. 1979 Princeton University (Molecular Biology)
B.S. 1977 Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science (Chemistry)
Courses I teach
Introduction to Cells, Introductory Laboratory Techniques, Genetics, Microbiology, Principles of Development, Biomathematics, Cell and Molecular Biology, Experimental Laboratory in Cell and Molecular Biology
I use tissue culture techniques in research on the control of gene expression and, in collaboration with Robert Granger, Professor of Chemistry, on the anticancer potential of novel platinum and palladium compounds. I am also collaborating with Drs. Raina Robeva and Jim Kirkwood of the Department of Mathematical Sciences on textbooks in biomathematics, supported by grants from the National Science Foundation.
Recent publications and workshop presentations
- “Mathematical Biology: Beyond Calculus” (MAA-PREP). Workshop organized together with Raina Robeva, Terrell Hodge and Timothy Comar. June 13-18, 2010, at Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, VA.
- Robeva, R.S., Kirkwood, J.R., Davies, R.L., Farhy, L., Johnson, M.L., Kovatchev, B.P., & Straume, M. 2008. An Invitation to Biomathematics. Academic Press.
- Robeva, R.S., Kirkwood, J.R., Davies, R.L., Farhy, L., Johnson, M.L., Kovatchev, B.P., & Straume, M. “Laboratory Manual of Biomathematics.” 2008, Academic Press.
- “Computational and Mathematical Biology” (MAA-PREP) and “Computational Biology for Biology Educators” (NCSI). Workshops organized together with Eric Marland and Raina Robeva. June 10 - 16, 2007, and June 18-23, 2006 at Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, VA.
- Granger, R.M., Davies, R.L., Wilson, K.A., Kennedy, E., Vogler, B., Nguyen, Y., Mowles, E., Blackwood, R., Ciric, A., & White, P.S. (2005) A New Cis-Platin Analog? The Synthesis, Characterization, Selective Cytotoxicity and DNA Binding Studies of Tetrachloro(1,10-Phenanthroline-5,6-dione) Platinum(IV); X-Ray Structure Analysis of Dichloro(1,10-Phenanthroline-5,6-dione) Platinum(II), Journal of Undergraduate Chemistry Research, 2, 47-57.
- Robeva, R., Davies, R., Kirkwood , J., Johnson, M., Kovatchev, B., & Straume, M. Teaching Biomathematics in the Undergraduate Curriculum. Presented at the Joint Mathematics Meeting of the American Mathematical Society and The Mathematical Association of America , January 7-10, 2004. Phoenix, AZ
- Davies, R.. Team-Teaching Across Disciplinary Lines: An Effective Method for Education. 23rd Annual Lilly Conference on College Teaching. November 2003. Oxford, OH.
- Robeva, R., Davies, R., Kirkwood , J., Johnson, M., Kovatchev, B., & Straume, M. Teaching Biomathematics in the Undergraduate Curriculum. Presented at the Joint Mathematics Meeting of the American Mathematical Society and The Mathematical Association of America , January 15-18, 2003. Baltimore, MD.
Recent student research projects
- Determining the effectiveness of Cisplatin and analogs on leukemia cell lines. Heather Critz
- 2-benzylidene 5-methyl 3(2H)-furanone interactions with cancer and bacteria. Megan Combs
- The effects of 2-benzylidene 5-methyl 3(2H)-furanone, cisplatin and platinum dione on a breast cancer cell line. Casey Pacheco
- Effect of anthocyanins on lung cancer cells. Robin Bicknell
- The effects of vitamin D on the expression of Gadd45a in response to UVC exposure. Amanda Wisz