What is distinctive about studying theatre at Sweet Briar?
- The theatre faculty at Sweet Briar have extensive professional experience in a wide variety of genres from commercial musical theatre to critically-acclaimed and award-winning experimental performance.
- Because we believe strongly in student-created work, our students have unparalleled access to our facilities and technology. If you can dream it, you can make it.
- Local artists as well as nationally-known theatre makers visit and work with our students. We benefit from our close connection to the nearby Virginia Center for the Creative Arts.
- Our season features faculty-directed shows, student-directed work, and professional theater and dance from around the country. Students often direct, write, or design as part of their senior capstone projects.
- Sweet Briar faculty-led learning experiences in London, NYC, and other destinations are a key component of our curriculum.
- Faculty-led trips to theatre conferences like SETC and USITT, allow students to make connections that lead to career-starting opportunities.