Students applying to the M.A.T. program must submit the following items for admission to the Master of Arts in teaching program by January 1 for spring term or by August 1 for fall term:
- Completed application.
- Two letters of recommendation
- All college transcripts (with an overall GPA of at least 2.75 and a GPA of at least 3.0 for any EDUC courses)
- Passing scores on the following examinations:
For the tests the applicant has not yet taken and passed, the applicant must include a plan to be able to pass each test and a timeline for taking/re-taking the test to ensure passing the test no later than August 1 of the application year.
In addition, prior to their final year of the program, students must complete/obtain proof of:
- Passing scores on Praxis Subject Assessment(s) (for the subject area(s) in which you are seeking licensure)
- Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) (Elementary Education candidates or Special Education Endorsement candidates only)
- Certificate CW55691: Child Abuse and Neglect: Recognizing, Reporting and Responding for Educators
- Certificate of completion for VDOE Dyslexia Awareness Training
- Certification of training in emergency first aid, CPR including hands-on practice, and the use of AED
- Report of Tuberculosis Screening
- Certificate of completion for the online tutorial from the Virginia State and Local Civic Education Module (Elementary Education candidates and Secondary History/Social Studies candidates only)