Accepting Your Award

Now that you’ve received your award letter, here are your next steps!

Please make sure you read the terms and conditions for accepting or renewing your award. Here are a few other things you need to know as you’re reading your award letter:

  • Sweet Briar merit awards are renewable based on the GPA stated in your merit scholarship letter.
  • Sweet Briar grants are based on the annual submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Federal Pell Grants require an annual FAFSA submission and is based on enrollment and your Student Aid Index (SAI).
  • The Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG) requires the FAFSA and full-time enrollment.
  • The Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG) requires submission of the VTAG application, which can be found on our forms page.


  1. To apply loans to your account, you must first complete the Federal Direct Subsidized and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan Request Form for Students. You can find this on our forms page. Print and complete the form and then fax, email or mail it to the financial aid office.
  2. Create an account at to complete entrance counseling and the master promissory note.

What federal student loan borrowers need to know:

  • You need to keep accurate records of your federal student loans.
  • Keep your copy of the signed master promissory note.
  • Open, read and maintain any loan information you receive from your school or loan holder.
  • Don’t ignore your loan payments.
  • When having difficulty making your scheduled payments, contact your loan holder to discuss repayment options.

Your rights and responsibilities as a borrower:

  • You must use your federal student loan for educational expenses only.
  • Your loan holder must give you details about your federal student loan before it is disbursed and again when it’s time to start paying your federal student loan.
  • You must tell your loan holder any time you drop below half-time enrollment or change schools.
  • You must tell your loan holder if you change your name, address, phone number, social security number, references or driver’s license number.
  • Before you leave school, you need to tell your loan holder your permanent address, the name and address of your expected employer (if known), and the address of your nearest relative.
  • You must repay your federal student loan, plus interest, even if you did not finish your program, did not finish your program in the regular time allotted for program completion, you are unable to get a job after you finish, or if you are unhappy with or do not get the education or other services you purchased from the school.
  • Your loan holder may sell your federal student loan or use a servicer to manage your account. If the federal student loan is sold and the address where you send payments changes, you’ll be notified of the name, address and phone number of the new loan holder.
  • You are entitled to a deferment or forbearance of your federal student loan payments in certain situations. Contact your loan holder for the details.
  • You may prepay your federal student loan at any time without penalty.

Campus Employment

To obtain campus employment, students must submit a campus employment form, which can be found on our forms page. Please note, the campus employment form for incoming, first-year students differs from the form for returning students.


Office of Financial Aid
Sweet Briar College
P.O. Box 1095
Sweet Briar, VA 24595

P | 800-381-6156
F | 434-381-6450

E |