Core Curriculum Policy for Transfer Students

For transfer students entering Sweet Briar College as of Fall 2019, an associate degree from a regionally accredited community college will replace Sweet Briar’s required leadership core. These students will be eligible to move directly into coursework that will fulfill the requirements of their major of choice. The associate degrees that are eligible under this agreement are: Associate of Arts, Associate of Science and Associate of Arts and Science. The qualifying associate degree must include a minimum of 30 semester credits for its general education requirement and students must have earned credit for at least one 3-credit course in each of the following areas:

  • Humanities/fine arts
  • Social/behavioral sciences
  • Natural sciences/mathematics

Credit awarded by the community college for AP or IB examination scores will be re-evaluated by Sweet Briar College. If all of the AP and IB examination scores meet SBC criteria, the associate degree qualifies for this agreement. If there is AP or IB credit that does not meet SBC criteria, the student’s associate degree will be evaluated and applied to the leadership core requirements as appropriate.

Sweet Briar does not evaluate or grant credit for CLEP examinations. A student using CLEP credit to satisfy any associate degree requirement would not be eligible for this agreement. Instead, the associate degree credit will be evaluated and applied to the Leadership Core requirements as appropriate.

Students earning an associate degree concurrently with high school graduation (sometimes referenced as dual enrollment or Early College) are not eligible for admission under the above terms of this policy. These students should complete the undergraduate application process for first-year students. Community college credit earned by these students will be evaluated and accepted on a course-by-course basis. These students must complete the Leadership Core requirements at Sweet Briar College.

If you have questions on transfer credit policies or with how your transfer credit was awarded, please contact the Registrar’s Office or the Office of the Dean.