Excellent indoor and outdoor facilities:
- The 120′ by 300′ Robin S. Cramer Hall, one of the largest indoor college arenas in the nation, has a heated viewing area and sound system.
- Three spacious outdoor rings, one with sprinklers and lights
- Covered lunging area
- Several teaching and schooling fields with a variety of natural obstacles.
- Hunter-jumper fences suitable for USEF competitions
Stable Management and Horse Care
Any visitor to our stable can see the priority that Sweet Briar assigns to stable management and professional horse care. Constructed for safety and convenience for riders of every level, our facilities include:
- 80 large box stalls with rubber mats
- 45 well-mannered college-owned horses — warm bloods, thoroughbreds, quarter horses, and several cross-breeds
- Four wash racks with hot and cold running water
- Five tack rooms
- 20 individual paddocks and 10 large pastures for turnout
- Fire and theft security system
Two late-model trucks, a six-horse Hawk gooseneck trailer and a six-horse Adams gooseneck trailer provide safe transportation to and from horse shows, foxhunts and other activities.
Full-time stable staff are devoted to horses and riders. For added security, staff members live on the riding center grounds. Part-time student workers clean tack, turn out, groom and — under supervision — provide therapeutic treatments to horses.
Room to Roam
Riders enjoy Virginia’s long, mild falls and springs along 18 miles of trails that wind through Sweet Briar’s 2,840-acre campus. There is no better way than on horseback to experience wooded countryside, foothills, dells and open fields.
Sweet Briar’s campus is one spectacular outdoor classroom. Field riding courses, trail riding and hacking out are memorable ways to take advantage of this living laboratory.