Two-factor authentication provides a second layer of security to any type of login, requiring extra information or a physical device to log in, in addition to your password. By requiring two different channels of authentication, we can protect your logins from remote attacks that may exploit stolen usernames and passwords. You will need to use the Duo App to access mySBC and Banner. Please follow these instructions to set-up DUO:
Duo has options to set up the following devices:
- Duo Mobile App (for smartphones or tablets)
- Cell Phone (without using the Duo App)
For best results, the Duo App is recommended. The Duo App is currently available for iOS (Apple) devices, Android devices, and Windows devices.
Instructions for setting up Duo Mobile App on your smartphone:
1. Login to Banner or my.sbc.edu
2. Once logged in, you will be presented with SBC’s Duo landing page
3. Select Start Setup
4. Select Mobile Phone and press Continue
5. Enter your phone number and confirm your phone number with the checkbox. Press Continue
6. Select your phone type from the list of options and press Continue
7. You will be prompted to download the mobile app. Go to the App store on your mobile phone and download the Duo Mobile app
Keep the Duo startup screen open on your computer as you will be revisiting it shortly
a) Once the app is installed, follow the prompts to Add Account.
b) Be sure that you allow camera access to the app, as a QR code will be generated for you to complete setup, requiring the use of the camera.
c) It is also recommended to allow notifications to the app on your phone to simplify the authentication process.
8. Once the app is downloaded on your phone, return to your computer. On the Duo startup screen select I Have Duo Mobile Installed
9. A QR code will appear on your computer screen, along with prompts for capturing the QR code with your cell phone camera. Hold your phone up to the screen and capture this QR code with your phone’s camera.
10. Once you have successfully captured the QR code, click Continue
11. Select log on preferences in the dropdown for When I Log In and press Continue to Login
12. Once you have completed the enrollment process, the options that appear are the options you will normally see when logging in. They include the following:
- Send Me a Push: Receive a notification to the mobile app for you to approve (or deny) login. You may find that Push Notification is the fastest method to authenticate.
- Enter a Passcode: Enter a code that is texted to your phone.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.